Description of impactI am currently advising the CDC's COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence Unit on projects related to young people, social media, and vaccine confidence.
I recently completed working with the CDC's on their first-ever Teen Vaccine Confidence Rapid Community Assessment (RCA) gauging how teens, their parents and the larger community feel about the ongoing national rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine for teens. This RCA focused on San Mateo County, California, and in a pioneering move, involved teens from the Boys and Girls Club as co-investigators with the CDC.
Responsibilities for this RCA included:
1. Designing and leading a month-long remote training for teens focused on conducting behavioural research (interviews, group discussions, surveys) and analysing online interactions on platforms where young people socialise (e.g. TikTok, Instagram.)
2. Working with teens to conduct fieldwork on teen vaccine confidence, code data, develop findings and deliver policy recommendations.
3. Working with teens to create a video presentation on their findings and recommendations to deliver to county and national health agencies.
4. Drafting report for CDC detailing methodological and ethical considerations for conducting RCAs with adolescents, and over digital platforms.
5. Drafting report for CDC detailing adolescent training process (described in items 1 and 2, above) with focus on participatory action research protocols.
|Impact date||1 Jun 2021 → 2023|
|Category of impact||Health impacts, Policy impacts, Technology impacts, Society impacts|
Activity: Talk or presentation › Presentation
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned report › peer-review
Impact: Policy impacts, Health impacts, Technology impacts