Projects per year
Carolyn is a Senior Lecturer at Macquarie Law School where she teaches and researches in the area of public law, with a focus on human rights and open government. Carolyn regularly provides expert advice on privacy and the handling of personal information to government and non-government organisations. She is currently engaged in a major project examining the ethics, law and policy of sharing personal information in the hands of government for research.
As well as a significant track record in interdisciplinary legal research, Carolyn brings to her teaching and research a practical perspective, drawing on two decades of providing high level legal and policy advice to state and federal governments, including NSW Cabinet Office and the federal Attorney-General's Department. Immediately prior to joining Macquarie University, she worked with the Australian Law Reform Commission on the following inquiries: Essentially Yours: The Protection of Genetic Information in Australia (ALRC Report 96) 2003; Same Crime, Same Time: Sentencing of Federal Offenders (ALRC Report 103) 2006; For Your Information: Australian Privacy Law and Practice (ALRC Report 108) 2008; and Secrecy Laws and Open Government in Australia (ALRC Report 112) 2009.
- Public law and open government
- Freedom of information
- Secrecy laws and culture
- Privacy and the use of personal information
- Privacy legislation and regulation
- Data linkage, including for research
- Human rights law
- International human rights law and institutions
- National human rights institutions
- Bills of rights
Research student supervision
I am happy to supervise PhD, MPhil and Masters of Research (MRes) students on topics that align with my reserearch interests, as indicated above. I would be particularly interested in supervising projects on the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in the health sector; and the ethics, law and policy of new technologies in the health sector, for example, the increasing use of data linkage for research and the provision of health care. If you have a proposed research project that aligns with my research interests I would be happy to assist you to develop your application and research proposal.
- PhD: Danielle Moon, Freedom of Information, Deliberative Material and Disclosure Practices
- PhD: Dora Shipley, The Role of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in Securing the Internalisation of the Convention of Belem do Para by Member States
- MRes: Paul Maluga, Let Me and My Metadata Alone: Australia's Compliance with Article 17 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (2017)
- PhD: Dr Holly Doel-Mackaway, 'Just Ask Us. Come and See Us': The Participation of Aboriginal Children and Young People in Law and Policy Development (2016)
- MRes: Danielle Moon, A Matter of Balance: Freedom of Information and Deliberative Documents (2015)
Macquarie University Human Research Ethics Committee (Human Sciences & Humanities) legal member 2014 to present
Macquarie Law School HDR Committee member 2014 to present
Law, Bachelor of Laws, Australian National University
Award Date: 14 May 1986
Asian Studies, Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University
Award Date: 7 Sep 1984
11/07/16 → 23/12/16
Macquarie University and University of Western Australia: development of a framework for secondary use of My Health record system dataAdams, C., Flack, F. & Allen, J., 17 Nov 2017, 12 p. Australian Government Department of Health.
Research output: Other contribution
Adams, C. & Allen, J., 29 Jul 2016, 13 p. Productivity Commission.
Research output: Other contribution
Adams, C. & Allen, J., Jun 2014, In: Journal of Law and Medicine. 21, 4, p. 957-972 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Adams, C. & Allen, J., 2014, In: AIAL forum. 76, p. 11-19 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Conference paper › peer-review
Adams, C., Flack, F., Smith, M., Carter, S., Lybrand, S., Brown, A., Joyner, S., Mullan, J., Lago, L., Carolan, L., Irvine, K. & Braunack-Mayer, A., 28 May 2021, In: Health Expectations: an International Journal of Public Participation in Health Care and Health Policy. 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Carolyn Adams (Speaker)5 Mar 2019
Activity: Talk or presentation › Invited talk
28 Aug 2019
Activity: Talk or presentation › Presentation