Research Output per year
Smith is a Lecturer in Security Studies at Macquarie University since 2013. Before joining the university, Mr. Smith was a captain at the United States Navy - a 30-year military intelligence officer with extensive experience in the Pacific and Middle East, as well as tours in Europe, the Mediterranean, and with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). He served multiple tours in: Australia (seconded to the Royal Australian Navy), Japan, and in London, UK. Deployed to Bahrain on multiple occasions and conducted four at-sea deployments to the Pacific, Indian Ocean, Northern Arabian Sea, Arabian Gulf and Mediterranean Sea. Served multiple tours in the US, including: ten years in Hawaii, postings on both coasts of the US and in the Pentagon, Washington, DC. Smith has extensive experience in all-source intelligence fusion analysis, intelligence preparation of the operational environment, operational intelligence and intelligence watch operations.
- Asia Pacific Security-related Issues (Geopolitical/Military/Economic/Diplomatic/Security Relationships)
- Indo Pacific Security-related Issues (Geopolitical/Military/Economic/Diplomatic/Security Relationships)
- Intelligence Studies-related Issues (Processes, Collection, Analysis, Dissemination, Historical Perspectives, Technologies, Oversight and Reform)
- PICT813: Foundations of Modern Intelligence.
- PICT844: Intelligence for the Modern Practitioner.
- PICT913: Asia Pacific Security (International Security Studies).
A chance to bolster Australia-Japan military ties: A potential submarine deal could help bring the two navies into closer cooperation.Smith, F. & Fanell, J., 7 Mar 2016, Wall Street Journal - Asia Edition.
Research output: Contribution to Newspaper/Magazine/Website › Article › Research
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter › Research › peer-review