Projects per year
Associate Professor Kenneth Sheedy is the founding director of the Australian Centre for Ancient Numismatic Studies (from 2000). He is also a member of the teaching staff of the Department of History and Archaeology, and a member of CACHE (Centre for Ancient Cultural Heritage). He received his doctorate in Classical Archaeology from the University of Sydney in 1987. Between 1988 and 1991 he was a curator at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney. He was appointed Deputy Director of the Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens in 1991. In 1997 he obtained the position of curator for the Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum (SNG) Project at the British Museum, London. He was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities in 2010. He is the representative of the Academy for the SNG Australia Project at the International Union of Academies.
His fields of research and teaching are Greek numismatics, and the art and archaeology of Greece with emphasis on the archaic period. He has a special interest in the archaeology and history of the Cycladic Islands. In addition to his on-going studies in the coinage of the Cyclades, South Italy and Athens, he is interested in Geometric pottery, Protoattic pottery, archaic sculpture and the early history of Delos.
- My current research interests include:
- The Archaic Coinage of Athens. He is the lead researcher for the ARC funded project 'A spring of silver, a treasury in the earth: coinage and wealth in archaic Athens' in collaboration with A/Prof Damian Gore and Dr Gil Davis. The purpose of the project is to study the impact of locally mined silver on the public treasury of the Athenians, and thus on the developing political economy of this important city-state during the years c.550-480 BC. It will present the first statistically significant survey of the metal composition of archaic Athenian coins using XRF analysis. It will combine the data from numismatic and metallurgical analyses in order to explore patterns in the use of locally sourced Laurion silver (as well as metal from external sources) in the minting of successive issues of Athenian coins. He is also working in collaboration with Dr Davis to prepare a new mint study of Archaic Athenian coinage.
- The incuse silver coins of Southern Italy. He is currently part of a team working on an investigation of the manufacturing processes involved in producing incuse coinage during the 6th and 5th centuries BC. The team also consists of Dr S. Olsen and Dr V. Luzin from the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) - and the Bragg Institute. The project was awarded a grant in 2014 for use of the instrument KOWARI to conduct Strain scanning analysis using Neutron Activation techniques. .
- A new publication of the 1911 Taranto Hoard (IGCH 1874). This study will introduce previously unrecorded material.
- The coinage from the University of Athens excavations (directed by Professor Nota Kourou) at Xombourgo on the Cycladic island ofTenos. He is preparing the publication of the numismatic finds.
- The archaic sanctuary of Delos. He is currently preparing a new study of the Porinos Naos.
- Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum Australia. The aim of the project is to publish all ancient Greek coins in Australian public collections. Volume I, the Gale Collection of South Italian Coinage, was published in 2008.
- 6 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Power, R., Sowada, K., Ens, E., Keegan, P., Choat, M., Salvemini, F. (., Davis, G., Sheedy, K., Tristant, Y., Neil, B., Herberstein, M., Carthey, A., Evans, L., Pryke, L., Kotarba, A., Ralph, T., O'Gorman, E., McEvoy, M., Davenport, C., Worthington, I., Alvarez-Mon, J., Ockinga, B., Keimer, K., Anagnostou, E., Beness, L., Yuen-Collingridge, R., Gore, D., Sowada, K., Chan, S. W., Binder, S., Woods, A., Hardtke, F., Di Biase-Dyson, C., Wicks, Y., Mourad, A., Westaway, K., Handley, H., Haynes, P. & Rampe, M.
1/01/19 → 31/12/21
1/01/18 → …
Stage 2-Investigation of the manufacturing process of the incuse silver coins of Southern Italy in the 6th century BC by texture analysis
Sheedy, K., Knowles, T., Luzin, V. & Olsen, S.
2/12/14 → 7/12/14
Sheedy, K., 2021, In: Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia. 30, p. 148-154 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Sheedy, K., 2020, Neutron Radiography - 11th World Conference on Neutron Radiography, WCNR 2018. Garbe, U., Salvemini, F. & Bevitt, J. J. (eds.). Association of American Publishers, p. 233-238 6 p. (Materials Research Proceedings; vol. 15).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference proceeding contribution › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Sheedy, K. A., Gore, D. B., Blet-Lemarquand, M. & Davis, G., 2020, Metallurgy in Numismatics 6: Mines, Metals and Money: Ancient World Studies in Science, Archaeology and History. Sheedy, K. A. & Davis, G. (eds.). London: Royal Numismatic Society, p. 149-163 15 p. (Royal Numismatic Society Special Publications; vol. 56).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter › peer-review
Sheedy, K. A. & Davis, G., 2020, Metallurgy in Numismatics 6: Mines, Metals and Money: Ancient World Studies in Science, Archaeology and History. Sheedy, K. A. & Davis, G. (eds.). London: The Royal Numismatic Society, p. 1-6 6 p. (Royal Numismatic Society Special Publications ; vol. 56).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Foreword/postscript/introduction › peer-review
Metallurgy in Numismatics 6: Mines, Metals and Money: Ancient World Studies in Science, Archaeology and HistorySheedy, K. A. (ed.) & Davis, G. (ed.), 2020, London: The Royal Numismatic Society. 326 p. (Royal Numismatic Society Special Publications; no. 56)
Research output: Book/Report › Edited Book/Anthology › peer-review
Davis, Rhonda (Recipient), Simpson, Andrew (Recipient), Blanche Menadier (Recipient), Sheedy, Kenneth (Recipient), Elizabeth Eyre (Recipient), Hammond, Gina (Recipient), Jana Jones (Recipient), Ronald Oldfield (Recipient), Karl Van Dyke (Recipient), Kathrine Hargraves (Recipient), Janiszewski, Leonard (Recipient), Jane Thogersen (Recipient) & Downing, Alison (Recipient), 17 May 2014