Contingent valuation of solid waste collection services for rural households in Brunei Darussalam

K. A. Anaman*, R. M. Jair

*Corresponding author for this work

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    8 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    This study used a contingent valuation approach to examine the relationship between the willingness to pay (WTP) for collection and disposal of household solid wastes services and selected socio-economic characteristics of households. It also analysed the relationship between the starting and final bids of WTP with selected socio-economic characteristics. This study involved a random sample survey of 121 households in a rural sub-district in Brunei Darussalam. About 34% of households hired private/public firms to collect and dispose of their household solid wastes while the remaining 66% used government-operated roadside community waste collection centres. WTP for waste collection services was shown to depend on the total household income and the number of children below 12 in the household. This study also established that the open-ended approach underestimated WTP when compared with values obtained through the method of iterative bidding games which was used to establish the maximum WTP for solid wastes collection services. This underestimation of WTP increased with the level of household income.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)223-240
    Number of pages18
    JournalSingapore Economic Review
    Volume45
    Issue number2
    Publication statusPublished - 2000

    Fingerprint

    Dive into the research topics of 'Contingent valuation of solid waste collection services for rural households in Brunei Darussalam'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this