Beneficial mutations in diversifying glucose-limited Escherichia coli populations are mostly unidentified. The genome of an evolved isolate with multiple differences from that of the ancestor was fully assembled. Remarkably, a single mutation in hfq was responsible for the multiple benefits under glucose limitation through changes in at least five regulation targets.
- Adaptation, Physiological
- Escherichia coli/genetics
- Escherichia coli Proteins/genetics
- Evolution, Molecular
- Gene Expression Regulation, Bacterial
- Genome, Bacterial
- Host Factor 1 Protein/genetics