"My Family Would Crucify Me!"

The Perceived Influence of Social Pressure on Cross-Cultural and Interfaith Dating and Marriage

Siham Yahya*, Simon Boag

*Corresponding author for this work

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

    8 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    The present study examined the perceived influence of parental and social pressure on individuals' perceptions regarding cross-cultural and interfaith dating and marriage. The questions of interest were: (1) What is the influence of parental attitudes towards interfaith and cross-cultural relationships? (2) How do the participants feel it impacts upon them? And lastly, (3) How do the participants predict they will respond to their children's choice of such relationships? Fifty-five university students with diverse backgrounds participated in this study. The findings indicate that the majority of the participants were influenced by the social pressure put upon them. Moreover, the participants perceived the previous generation as "racist". However, interestingly there are signs of a generational attitude shift. Finally, the findings show that over 80 % of the participants did not want to interfere in their children's partner selection. The remaining 20 % were against interfaith and cross-cultural dating and marriages.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)759-772
    Number of pages14
    JournalSexuality and Culture
    Volume18
    Issue number4
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - Dec 2014

    Keywords

    • cross-cultural
    • interfaith
    • dating
    • marriage
    • religion
    • romance
    • love

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of '"My Family Would Crucify Me!": The Perceived Influence of Social Pressure on Cross-Cultural and Interfaith Dating and Marriage'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this