Outcomes of early and intensive use of a palm and digit extension orthosis in young children after burn injury

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Burns to the palmar aspect of the hand are prevalent in young children. The development of scar tissue across the flexor surface of the hand combined with the years of growth ahead may result in considerable complications. This study was undertaken to describe outcomes of early and intensive use of a palm and digit extension orthosis with the elbow immobilized at 90° flexion following a palmar hand burn. A retrospective review of 107 children (mean age 18 months [SD 10]) treated at a statewide Pediatric Burns Unit from 2012 to 2016 was performed. Three children (3%) developed contracture during the 24-month study follow-up period. The other 104 children (97%) had full ROM at 24 months or at either the point of discharge or loss to follow-up. Early signs of contracture, defined as loss of full movement or significant banding, developed in 26 children (24%) in the first 9 months after burn. With intensive physiotherapy, 23 children regained full movement by 12 months after burn. Children who did not achieve complete wound healing at 1 month after burn and children with hypertrophic scarring at 2 months after burn were significantly more represented among cases of early signs of contracture (P = .013). When undertaken with regular clinical review, early and intensive use of a palm and digit extension orthosis can maintain full extension of the palm and digits in children after palmar burn.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)245-257
Number of pages13
JournalJournal of Burn Care and Research
Volume42
Issue number2
Early online date21 Aug 2020
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 4 Mar 2021

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Outcomes of early and intensive use of a palm and digit extension orthosis in young children after burn injury'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this