The Efficacy of the Pipelle Endometrial Biopsy in Detecting Endometrial Carcinoma

J. Ferry, A. Farnsworth, M. Webster*, B. Wren

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

80 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Summary: The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy rate of the Pipelle endometrial biopsy sampler (Pipelle de Cornier) (1) in detecting endometrial carcinoma, and to analyze the tumour variables that may influence the success rate. Thirty seven women with known endometrial carcinoma were tested preoperatively; there were 25 correct diagnoses (67%), the remaining 12 cases (33%) failed to demonstrate the correct diagnosis: 4 showed ‘atypical epithelium’, 2 showed ‘atypical hyperplasia’, 3 showed ‘nonspecific epithelium’ and the remaining 3 showed ‘necrotic hyalinized material. All cases were analyzed with respect to several tumour parameters, including the degree of differentiation, tumour volume, depth of invasion, and the extent to which the tumour filled the endometrial cavity. Poor results were obtained in well differentiated, low volume, and minimally invasive tumours, i.e. most early tumours, precluding its use as a screening tool. A positive biopsy can save patients the time, cost, and inconvenience of a dilatation and curettage. However, in the light of these findings, a nonspecific finding should be interpreted with caution.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)76-78
Number of pages3
JournalAustralian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Volume33
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1993
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The Efficacy of the Pipelle Endometrial Biopsy in Detecting Endometrial Carcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this